TC Girl

Because life wasn't boring enough...

2:00 PM

The battle of the definitions!

Posted by TC_Girl |

Today’s entry will be fairly short. I just began reading Parker’s An Introduction to the New Testament Manuscripts and their Texts. Yeah, I know – I’m a year late. But I’ve been a little busy this year. Hmm. So, I had already seen a few reviews before reading this book. I know, for instance, that Parker’s definition of “variant” did not receive a warm reception. I can see why after reading the introduction. Parker states that a variant reading should be defined as “the entire text as it is present in a particular copy” (p. 5). Yet he notes that this definition is not pragmatic. I’m not sure how a definition of variant that is not practical will help a textual critic, but there you have it. He at least recognizes the problem.

Well, that’s it. See, I said it would be short.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments/opinions/etc., but please keep it constructive and please be kind. Remember, my notes aren't meant to be perfect - they're just daily observations on things that I happen to read. Cheers!

Subscribe